Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Don't be fooled...

In case you have been swayed by the recent "Sholom Rubashkin" did no wrong movement...

"A former underage worker cried Monday while testifying she was exposed to harsh chemicals at an Iowa slaughterhouse where she and other teens worked 12 hours a day, six days a week. Yesenia Cordero Mendoza, now 18, was one of two former underage workers to testify against former manager Sholom Rubashkin, who faces 83 child labor violation charges stemming from a May 2008 raid at the plant in which 389 illegal immigrants, including 31 children, were detained."

How can you be outraged at his sentence but not at his actions? How can you try to act like what went on in Iowa was not wrong? This is not a case of people out to get us, this is a case of us forgetting ourselves. When I ate meat I mindlessly ate Rubashkins meat. I feel ill now because I am convinced that the meat I ate then was not Kosher. I didn't know, but I supported this.

We must be more mindful. We must infuse all aspects of our lives with Torah if we are going to avoid this ever happening again. This was Jewish industry that sold to Jewish people, and it had 16 year olds working 12 hour days for pennies. This plant was not Torah True.

No comments:

Post a Comment